Wednesday, March 31, 2010

BOSTON COLLEGE 2008 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!



The third time really was the charm ...

The old alma mater, Boston College, won the 2008 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey National Championship on April 12 with a 4-1 victory over Notre Dame in Denver, after falling just short in the finals the past two years. It's BC's third-ever national title, its second crown claimed in the state of Colorado, and its first overall NCAA championship since 2001. It was also the first time I got to celebrate at the final buzzer with my brother, who also went to BC, and my dad, whose checks did.

5-foot-5 junior forward and Michigan native Nathan Gerbe tallied two goals and two assists in the final for the Eagles against the Fighting Irish (beaten by a leprechaun?) and was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. Obviously it's not all about size, as he hustles his as- off, has great skills, shows no fear, and is simply one hell of a hockey player. So is freshman goaltender John Muse and a supporting cast of three dozen, including a top-notch coaching and support staff ...

Now bring on the parade - and the championship merchandise! I've already made my customary donation to Eagle Athletics and shed a few quiet tears of joy just like I did seven springs ago (yes, I admit it).

Congratulations Eagles - and from an "old" alum, THANK YOU!

WE - ARE - BC!

No comments:

Post a Comment