Wednesday, March 31, 2010

UAF? Not Anymore


Originally written 12/14/2006

First time blogging - ever - and I guess I'll touch on something that's been bugging me for a while now ...

Skating around in a New Jersey rink today while wearing a retro University of Alaska Fairbanks Nanooks hockey jersey, I got to thinking how the 'Nooks new description as just the University of Alaska is, well, wrong. Last time I checked there was still a University of Alaska Anchorage, but I guess UAF - or Alaska, now - doesn't want to recognize that anymore. Among other things, calling the school "Alaska" has killed that classic U-A-F chant, with two guys (or gals) working to form the letters between them.

At least they probably still have "What the hell's a Seawolf?" in regards to UAA. Hopefully they'll reconsider, it's like Boston College just deciding to call their teams "Boston" when BU still exists seven miles away. But I'm not holding my breath, I'll probably pass out ...

No comments:

Post a Comment