Wednesday, March 31, 2010

They Probably SHOULD Call It the BU Invitational


Originally written 02/13/2007

Another year, another Beanpot loss for Boston College. (The men's team, anyway.)

Yes, rival Boston University won it for the 28th time in 55 tournaments, and for the third straight season and 11th time in the last 13 years, with a 2-1 victory over the Eagles on Monday night just 5:06 into overtime at the TD Banknorth Garden in Beantown. BC had chances to win it with both nine ticks remaining in regulation and just under two minutes into sudden death but hey, who am I kidding? This is the Beanpot - and BC just doesn't win the Beanpot.

Well, it has won it 13 times, which looks inept compared to the Terriers' 28 titles; but then, Harvard and Northeastern, the other two Beanpot schools, have only combined for 14 crowns between them since 1953, and none since 1989, so I guess it's not a total loss. (BU now leads every one else, 28-27.)

Every year since I was an undergrad at the Heights, though, I tell myself that this is just a nothing, two-game little tournament played the first two Mondays in February. But every winter, I get my hopes up. Every February, I think it'll get it done this time. And almost every year, BC comes up one goal short.

Nuts. I'm going to bed. See you in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment